Bremerton Symphony Association was born at a time when history was being made. It was during the bleak years of World War II that President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued a call to all Americans to make music a part of the campaign to support the war effort. Seven citizens of our community responded to this call and created the Bremerton Symphony Association under the auspices of the Bremerton Recreation Commission.
In August 1942, the Bremerton Symphony Association was formed when its Board of Directors was elected. The Bremerton Symphonic Orchestra gave its first performance on October 11, 1942 with sixty musicians under the direction of Ernest Fitzsimmons; it was free and open to the public. The budget of the first season was $700. The repertoire of this program was repeated at the 50th Anniversary Concert on October 11, 1992.